Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kudo's to Robert Gant



Got to give a shout out to Robert Gant. Firstly the guy is absolutely gorgeous! Secondly, for those who have read this blog for awhile know that I have struggled with watching and liking 'Queer As Folk'. I have finally finished the series and my feelings are still hit and miss. Yes, I certainly enjoyed Sharon Gless, yes certainly I liked the skin, yes certainly there were some storylines and characters I got into. Overall though I still find the show hit and miss. Maybe it is that it's orginal characters are all pretty much just stereotypes. Not so much on the page, as it was not as jarring in the British version, but the US version almost seemed to pick every gay stereotype and shove them all in this one show. That does not mean that the actors were not effective, many were, but it also made much of the show hard to stomach for me. I am sure the groundbreaking things Queer As Folk was able to accomplish were dimished with the negativity the show got for promoting not only the best of, but the worst of the gay community. Maybe this made it realistic, I am still not convinced. (Btw: Randy Harrison is still not winning me over, but...he certainly is not as bad as I first wrote when starting to watch).



I did however find two characters and actors that I really enjoyed. I have talked about my love for the talented Dean Armstrong before, but I have not wrote much about Robert Gant before. At first I found his character a bit boring, but as his storyline went on, I found his character really grounded the show for me for awhile and really made Hal Sparks character a lot less annoying. Gant is a rare gay actor who has gone seemlessly between gay and straight roles without any muss and fuss. This is a tribute to his talent. I know this may not have been possible if he had been cast as Brian or was a bigger name in the business, but he certainly deserves kudo's for his great work not only on Queer As Folk but many other shows and movies. Check out Robert's official site HERE:






Below: Next two shots of Robert by the amazing David Vance.





Below: Robert in 'Kiss Me Deadly'.


Below: Robert on 'Popular'.



Below: Robert in 'Queer As Folk'






No comments: