Friday, January 1, 2010

#3 The Multi-Camera Sit-Com

I know that The Office is a good show. I know 30 Rock must be brilliant. But no matter how much talent Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin and company have and no matter how many big names they have on (Oprah) there is still something about these shows I find off putting. I am not the only one who does not find these shows user friendly. I know they have their fans, but I also know many feel like I do.

That is why I am so happy CBS is keeping the multi camera sit-com alive and well. It’s Monday night line up (Two and Half men aside, I cannot stomach that show) is one on of my favorite nights of tv. All In The Family, Everybody Loves Raymond, Mary Tyler Moore, Friends, Cheers, all my favorite classic shows all used the multi camera formula. Accidently On Purpose, How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory are all thriving in the tradition of some of these classics proving there is still life in an old way of putting on a show. If you watch episodes of All In The Family and Everybody Loves Raymond (and others) they watch almost like a 2 act play. Some of the best episodes of these series were 2 long seemless scenes.


Thanks Claudia!
Above: Ashley Jensen, Pooch Hall, Lennon Parham
Jenna Elfman, Jon Foster, Nicolas Wright.


I have to give a special shout out to Accidentally on Purpose. Firstly I love the show. The writing is crisp and current and Claudia Lonow and company have put together a stellar cast who have given me more laughs than any other show currently on the air.

The writers have their pulse on what is current and push the envelope each week. The show is without a doubt an adult comedy perfect for the 20-50 set who are living in a world where technology dominates so much of our life and relationships are far from what they were when Mary and Rhoda could not find a date on a Saturday night. The show often gets stomped on my critics and it does not deserve it. It is to be expected, it is the new kid on the CBS Monday night Block. Big Bang Theory took a year or so to really take off and be seen the way it is seen now. Hope CBS gives this half hour the time to do the same.

I think if the writers can find away to gracefully move through the birth of the baby without making the birth or the baby too central to story it will retain it’s ever growing audience. Jenna Elfman and Jon Foster have winning chemistry and I have raved about the supporting cast many times before. The Monday night hat-rick of AOP, How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory are a reason to turn the traditional sit-com back on!

No comments: