Saturday, April 17, 2010

Actors I Love: CCH Pounder

I am not sure when I first saw actress CCH Pounder on screen. It could have been walking the halls on ER as Dr. Angela Hicks. It could have been appearances on The Practice, The X Files, L.A Law or one of the many other guest shots she has nailed on various shows over the past 3 decades. I do know though that it was renting 1987's Out of Rosenheim (Bagdad Cafe) that cemented for me this was one amazing actress. Flipping the channels the other night I caught a few minutes of CCH on Celebrity Jeopardy. She did not win, in fact she came in third. CCH often comes in third or forth in the projects she appears in. Yet, like on Jeopardy she usually leaves a more lasting and impactful impression than those in first or second. Quite the feat... Whether it be guest shots on ER, The Shield or in last years blockbuster Avatar, CCH stands out. In fact in many instances she rises above the material. There is something special about her, I think most people see it the second they first lay eyes on her. I am not sure how to describe it, part earth mother, somewhat mystical but however you choose to put it, she is 'a part of' yet somehow ' a step above' the projects she is a part of. Pure and simple, CCH Pounder is extraordinary. As one of the founders of 'Artists for a New South Africa', Pounder has energized awareness of post-apartheid and HIV/AIDS issues. "I call it my little engine that could. It is a remarkable, tiny organization with a huge outreach. We use actors and artists with the biggest voices so they can use every opportunity to talk about AIDS." CCH Pounder CCH Pounder: An Actor I Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love her too. She was amazing on ER and it's difficult to stand out on that show due to so many talented actors on there but she managed to do it. Her sparring with dr. Bennet was a highlight for me. Thanks for showcasing her on your wonderful blog.