Friday, October 1, 2010

Changing Directions with Bill McClaren


Gerrad Bohl

"That's what you do as a painter, you live on hope, that next painting..."
Wayne Thiebold

"You don't take a photograph, you make it."
Ansel Adams

Two quotes Bill says describe his method of working.


Richard R. Vargas

Early last summer I was introduced to the work of Bill McClaren. I first profiled in his work in a post HERE: last August. At the time I was struck by the passion I felt Bill put into the wide variety of subjects he shot. There was love and caring put into the details of all of his work whether it be with a model or an oak leave.

When I contacted Bill this past summer about featuring more of his work, he was in the middle of heading out on the road to Burning Man. Bill did however leave me with the name 'Damon', a model he had recently shot, to check out until he returned. When I headed to Bill's portfolio to see this 'Damon' I expected to find a hot hunk in leather or wearing an animal print showing some, but not a lot, of skin. Shots I was used to seeing, shots I had previously loved and connected with Bill's work.

Well Damon is without a doubt hot, but there was something completely different yet at the same time clearly familiar about Bill's shots of Damon. I say different, as much of the early work that I loved and had previously posted of Bill's was a a bit more, how shall I say, more traditional maybe, the type of shots you might find in a models portfolio. Shots meant to showcase and bring out the beauty of the model.

I say clearly familiar, because I remember in Bill's old portfolio a few shots, in particular a self portrait with the exact same feel that came over me when I saw the new shots of Damon. Although the feeling was familiar it is still one I cannot exactly describe except to say more personal. The personal expression Bill had previously channelled through parts of his work was now coming out in all of it.


Thaddaeus Paull

'I am moving away from people and especially model types in favor of Fine Art Photography, however you may define that broad term'
Bill McClaren

It might be difficult to imagine one could get bored from shooting beautiful models but Bill tells me his interest in shooting people, even hot male people, has diminished. 'Perhaps I have nothing new or interesting to say?'

Personally I think Bill has much more to say through his work, things more important to him, more personal, things that were not possible when working in a certain way with models. In the spectrum of relationships between photographer and subject generally one is working to aid the other in their vision. It seems to me that Bill is now concentrating on his own vision and like the Ansel Adams quote is no longer taking photographs but now, making them.

Official Site for Bill McClaren


Brody Harris

The one thing about Bill that was exactly the same was his generosity. Damon you should know, was not a model Bill was originally set up to shoot. One of Bill's photographer friends, Michael T Puff was shooting Damon in Bill's studio and Bill hung back taking a few shots. Bill quickly put me in touch in Michael suggesting I as well feature his work on FH.

The results, shown in a series of posts below, was not only fun to put together but fascinating. One shoot, one talented and creative model, and two photographers each picking up their camera's for different reasons and with different roles.

Thanks so much to Bill McClaren, Michael T. Puff and Damon Mahoney for sharing your work with FH!

No comments: