Sunday, August 14, 2011

Kiss Of The Spider Woman Soundtrack



Vanessa Williams really is a far more talented singer and actress than she gets credit for. As dynamic and hilarious as she was on Ugly Betty (I can't really speak for her role on Desperate Housewives) she has an impressive stage resume which include some of my favorite shows.

Although the Chita Rivera version might be remembered more affectionately, as far as the soundtrack go, my money's on the 1994 version featuring Williams, Howard McGillin and Brian Mitchell. Williams might not have the biggest voice, but like with her turn singing pop, she has a beautiful clear voice with a unique tone that gives her songs a depth I did not hear before. She may not have Rivera's dramatic flare but this is a soundtrack, not a live show and I much prefer Williams. McGillin is great, especially powerful and painful on 'She's A Woman'. Mitchell hits it out of the park with powerhouse vocals at every turn but his version of 'Marta' is incredible.

Obviously someone else saw the magic in the cast replacements as it is rare for a show to re-release a soundtrack with the replacement cast just 2 years after the release of the original. I remember listening to KOTSP on old school heavy discman in 1994 when I was in University. That cd went missing years ago but I recently bought another version on Amazon and am enjoying it even more now.


No comments: