Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hating Julie Andrews???



Ok, so I don't hate Julie Andrews (but...she is a far cry from her goody goody characters she plays) but... what if I did? How do you dislike someone people have put on a pedestal? There are certain people people would look oddly at you if you said you hated, Desmond Tutu, Meryl Streep, Beyonce, Mother Teresa, Betty White to name a few. There is someone else that although certainly not like by all (hated my many actually) that has become a figure many in the gay community have gotten behind. Chaz Bono has gotten overwhelming support for his bringing attention to the transgendered community. Now, being the child of one of the countries sexiest superstars, gay icon and fashion trend center would not be easy for anyone. Being the cute blonde daughter who goes on to become a man would put complications into any family dynamic.



But...Chaz in annoying! His personality is grating, he looks completely bored and irritated during most interviews, has little to no sense of ha ha and despite any parental conflict is less than gracious about his mother in less than subtle, but frequent slams. The icing on the cake is that Chaz cannot dance! There are so many who back him up simply because of his gender (or transgender). If it is not OK to exclude someone due to gender, race or sexual orientation it should not be OK to include them solely based on it either. Chaz, I respect your hard work but hoping tonight the Hollywood Hills are alive with your getting the boot!

And just because...someone I do like, the adorable Tristan MacManus.

4 comments:

Scot said...

I'm so glad you put that into words. I think there are alot of people who think the same thing but just won't say it out loud. I've been asking, from the onset, "who wants to watch some fat guy dancing?" and what, exactly is it that makes anybody consider him a star?
I don't watch this show because I think its too stupid for words. Although from all the videos and adverts I've seen this seem to be the season of dancing with the DANCING WITH THE OVER-WEIGHT, OUT OF SHAPE NOT-REALLY-A-STAR SHOW.
To address your origional point, why do we seem to lower our standards and accept poor performances or lack of talent in people just because they're gay? There are SO MANY singers who have very little to no talent that the gay community thinks are just wonderful? Do people like Adam Lampert and Rufus Wainright sell well to straight people? Does anybody honestly think Sean Hayes is a great actor? Really? Come on, lets give credit where credit is due. Ellen is a great commediane, Melissa and Ricky are great singers, not because they're gay but because they have talent! Sorry to ramble but that's my two cents worth.
By the way, I don't like Julie Andrews either!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about Tristan. He's so adorable with that cute accent. If there was a celebrity that everyone likes but me, that would be Will Smith. There's just something about him that turns me off. Maybe it's because he overacts. Is there a movie out there where he doesn't yell? Also not too crazy about Chaz. I think it's because when he had his change he went for the over the top image of what a male should look like. You don't have to look like Dan Conner from Roseanne to be a male.

-Chris

Tye said...

Ahhh, not a fan of Will Smith post Fresh Prince, or any member of his family for that matter. They all scare me just a little...

Brian said...

I think you put that perfectly.I didn't really care one way or the other about Chaz (but luvs me some Cher,BIG TIME!)I only watched DWTS this season to see what all the fuss was gonna be about and actually am enjoying it....in a one eye on the tv one on the computer sorta way.Yes Chaz was bad but why the hate for him from so many sides and nothing but love(and out and out fawning from the judges...."it was horrible but I just love to watch you") for that mincing queen Carson Cressley who SCREAMS gay stereotype every time he opens his mouth? They even went so far as to bring him back for broadway week and show him dry humping Maks....bur Chaz is the devil incarnate and out to ruin all children watching the show because OMG he was born a she???!!! And don't even get me started on that fool Bruno who's gayer than the day is long! It's simply a popularity contest.Always has been,always will be.Glad chaz lasted as long as he did but for all those who say he should still be there,be honest,if he had been judged strictly for his dancing, would he have lasted this long? Go Nancy and Tristan! And Maks,just keep your mouth shut and your shirt off and you'll last longer LOL