Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oh Johnny!



Whenever I have listed my favorite actors Johnny Depp has made the top 10. Sean Penn usually takes the #1 spot but Johnny has always been on there somewhere. I never watched a minute of 21 Jump Street but I have enjoyed Depp's movie roles especially Benny & June, Cry-Baby, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood and one of my all time favorites Edward Scissorhands. I even enjoyed his early turn as Jack in Private Resort which included his only real nude scene (pictured here).



When I was thinking of Depp's movies I was shocked at how far back I had to go to find one I really enjoyed. I liked, but did not love Donnie Brasco, Sleepy Hollow and Chocolat but they are all over 12 years old. I am not sure I have even liked one of his movies since. I love the music from Sweeney Todd, but not the flick itself and I am one of only a few who never got into The Pirates Of The Caribbean series. I saw the first one in the Theatre and although I did not hate it I have absolutely zero interest in seeing any of the sequels.




I am not sure exactly what the problem is, Depp is still a gifted actor. I do think he should take a pass on all future Tim Burton movies, Scissorhands had heart, their efforts since are all gimmicks and green screen. I admittedly have not seen The Tourist, nor do I plan to.




It is not just Depp's roles that are in play. I wonder however if it is time for Depp to start playing his age. Depp is thin, young looking and still hot as hell but.... he is also close to 50. Now 50 can be hot, that is not my point, Depp however, like Jared Leto and even to a degree Michael Jackson looks so far off his age it is a bit disconcerting. Now I know, for most of us looking 10 or even 20 years younger than our actual age might seem like a good thing, but there is also something slightly off kilter about it as well, especially on screen. There is still hope though, Depp has several films due for release and I am holding out hope for his turn as Barnabas in the upcoming Dark Shadows.










PResort by trevorbriggs

No comments: