Monday, January 16, 2012

Just Because: What about Talent?

People get old... Should they be shot for it?
Above: Jessica Lange, Goldie Hawn, Jane Fonda, Sally Field and Barbra Streisand. (Life Magazine Photo shoot, 1986).

Last night when I got home about an hour into The Golden Globes, but with the magic of the DVR was able to pretty much be on track live after about 30 minutes. I decided to log on to facebook to catch up on some of the commentary. Sometimes the comments are much wittier and funnier than the show itself. Now last nights show was not horrible, but with some of the most talented people in the world in the room, why was the banter not more interesting???



After about 10 minutes on Facebook I got pretty disgusted and quickly closed the window. First off acting award shows are supposed to be about acting. Now...the Golden Globes of course are about so much more but... The current emphasis on fashion and looks makes any talent anyone in the room have pretty much secondary to if they put on a pound or two and especially if they happened to do the unthinkable, age.



When Jane Fonda walked on stage people were a buzz about how great she looked, and hell she did! I like Jane Fonda, don't love her, but like her. Never found her acting as powerful as the other ladies in the top pic above. But really...did she look good for 75 or did she look just a bit odd. I guess it depends on your priorities. I read so many comments on how Jessica Lange should take a page from Fonda and how haggard Lange looked. Really??? For 63, she looks pretty fine to me. Now I guess Lange could have gotten a better stylist or spend a decade preaching to women about getting fit the natural way, then turn around and get everything nipped, tucked and sucked as Jane did, but I for one am pretty happy she did not.

In the past year Lange gave me chills and huge laughs with incredible turn as Constance on American Horror Story. (which btw she won for last night) Fonda, well she did the talk show circuit hawking her latest book. My goal is not to bash Jane, but I find it sad that her look, one put together with surgery, latex, make-up and tons of cash, is revered while someone like Lange who chose to age more naturally is bashed to shit. This world doesn't stand a chance!

Congratulations to the winners last night, although not all my picks won, all the winners were well deserved!

5 comments:

Keith said...

Isn't this a blog, among other things, that shows young, fit, handsome, naked men?

I've yet to see an older paunchy, wrinkly naked man on here. To be fair I am in the process of going through you past posts as having recently found your blog, so possibly haven't come across those men as of yet.

To bash Fonda (and to me that is what you are doing) for the work she has had done I find a bit hypocritical.

I wonder how popular your blog would be if it was dedicated to older man who have aged naturally, and packed on the pounds. Perhaps you should try it for a month and see what happens.

Possibly I missed the point, and yes do agree that to much is put on fashion and looks, but that's what I see in this blog also.

Thought both Fonda and Lange looked great, just wish Jessica had done something better with her hair.

Tye said...

Keith,
You comment is certainly not without it's points. I try to have a diverse group of men on FH but...I am not sure it is exactly comparable, a blog with a focus on the beauty of men and photography, all about the visual with an award show which goal, at least expressed goal is to award talent.

I don't watch Saturday Night Live and bash the looks, I comments on whether it is funny or not.

Bobby F said...

BLANCHE? Jessica plays Constance on "American Horror Story". :-)

Tye said...

Thanks Bobby Duh!

Always think of her turn as Blanche DuBois when I think of Lange.

Anonymous said...

Keith should check out websites called Silverdaddies, Daddyhunt, BiggerCity, and Bearfront to learn that there is interest in men who are not "young, fit, and handsome." I look like Hoss Cartwright, and I travel throughout the USA and Canada as a truckdriver, having sexual adventures everywhere I go.

I can't understand anybody being fans of "Modern Family". They have a wide variety of men, but see fit to perpetuate the most sickening stereotypes of hispanics, trophy wives, and effeminate self-loathing homosexuals trying desperately to imitate heterosexual marriage and family.