Monday, January 23, 2012

Kudos to Helen Mirren & Glee



As someone one with a close family member with Downs I thought Helen Mirren killed it last weeks Glee. I was a bit hesitant to watch Yes/No as I only watched last night and already read quite a few reviews both pro and con. Many of the cons were critical of 'using' Becky' and sharply criticized much of her dialog. For me, the writing was spot on.



I have been quite critical of the ups and downs of the Fox show but the writing this week by Brad Falchuk was spot on and laugh out loud hilarious. I think people not familiar with being around someone with Downs assumes they are all like the 'Life Goes On' portrayal. The few I know are as capable of every emotion as we are, they can be sexual, kind and mean and many have a keen sense of sarcasm. Given what they have to cope with, they is often desperately needed to handle the crap dumped on them daily. Becky, and Mirren presented it beautifully.



Nene Leakes was good in her one scene. (although Overstreet's nipples looked pretty balanced to me) It was also nice that the closing musical number gave a bit more meaning to Sam's joining of the synchronized swimming team than just an excuse to see those aforementioned nipples.

2 comments:

Bobby F said...

I agree, Tye. I must say I was FURIOUS at the show when Sue's sister died last season. I thought their scenes together were some of the most touching on television and really enhanced Jane Lynch's acting ability.

Anonymous said...

I think Sam should show his nipples in every episode. For an extended length of time too.