Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Investing: Phillip Phillips



It is hard to believe it was 12 years ago that Kelly Clarkson won the first season of American Idol. I was still in my twenties, a few years out of University and had just moved an hour away from my friends and family to start a new job. I remember investing in Kelly's win, could not image Justin taking it and not at all surprised when Tamyra Gray got the boot. She could sing circles around Justin and Nikki but her cold presentation rubbed many the wrong way.



Season two was all Clay and Kimberly for me. Loved them both, watching their solos and in the group numbers. I still keep up with Kimberly but any appeal for Clay went out the window shortly after the show ended. But, he was incredible on that season and I voted my ass off and was as indigent as I would allow myself to be about the loss of a singer on a reality television show.



I lost about half my passion for the show by season 3. Although it rebounded briefly listening to the incredible voice of Elliott Yamin for the most part each season has blended together into a Motown, Bryan Adams, bad Whitney Houston ballad nightmare. American Idol, once a show I waited for, once a show I had people over to watch is now just a show I DVR out of habit. 2 Hours of Idol can be watched in about 11 minutes (DVR time, 1 minute for the results show).



But...darn it if I am not again investing. Not in the show mind you but in singer Phillip Phillips. First off the name, second ADORABLE, third, talented as hell. I loved his audition and last week's Hard To Handle was outstanding and last night's Billy Joel classic 'Movin Out' also a stan out from the rest. Forth might be the fact he was in the middle of surgery for kidney stones last week he still managed to hit the stage as if all was just fine. His Idol roommate Heejun Ham's habit of taking twitter pics of Phillip half asleep only add to the appeal...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's too cute to win. Cute guys go home pretty early.

-Chris