Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Respectful Yawn

Image created by Christopher Rochester.

I questioned whether to post about Anderson Cooper. I like and respect Cooper a lot but count me in the minority who sort of loved that he refused to buckle and make a public announcement. Now I know Cooper's announcement was subtle, and as Hillary says, not really news, but I look forward to the day when one's sexuality truly makes no difference. As long as someone being gay is news, we still have work to do.

Although I really like the new trend of celebrities saying nothing, or commenting how they want, when they want. (As documented in the latest Entertainment Weekly), I am glad the days of celebrities taking to People magazine with I'M GAY big and bold on the cover, are thankfully over.

I supported the end of Don't ask don't tell because it was shame based, encouraging dishonesty and overtly saying that your sexuality somehow had an impact on your quality of work. Our Sexuality is of course immensely important in our personal lives, in our professional lives however, it should have zero value or importance.

Cooper never hid who he was, most people playing attention could see his truth due the honesty and uncompromising way in which he conducted himself. What his sexuality was to his job was simply not important. Once everyone, maybe even more so for some within the gay community, get this, change might come easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there needs to be an official announcement that one is gay but I don't think they should hide a significant other. Straight people don't announce they are straight but they also don't hide that they are married or in a relationship. Gay people shouldn't do that either. I feel it's disrespectful to their partner. I think the fascination with outing celebrities will continue as long as people feel the need to hide it. Especially when they hide it with a straight relationship.

-Chris