Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Thumbs Down: A Katy Perry Movie


I don't dislike Katy Perry, like the rest of the world, I belt out Firework in the car, smile at what she wears on award shows and enjoy Glee's take on some of her songs. My issue is with a major motion picture, Part Of Me, devoted to the singer Perry has only been on the scene for a few years and only really hit it big in 2010.

Now... if she insanely talented (which she is not) or led an extraordinary existence, (which she doesn't) she might warrant a movie. Her live performances are colorful and fine, (although that voice of hers doesn't always do her favors during live performances) but a movie, really? Her obvious level of self importance explains her lack of embarrassment promoting it. I know I am not the target audience, but then again, not really sure who that is. (Maybe all those people who didn't go to see the Glee movie...) Hannah Montana had a movie, but she also had a huge tween fan base, not sure Katy does. I wish her well, I do, but it seems to me this would have been a more appropriate Friday night summer special on network TV than something people are going to fork out big bucks to go see on the silver screen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't find her that interesting either. I like a lot of her songs but don't really care to see her in concert or behind the scenes. Now I did enjoy the Glee movie and even downloaded it on Itunes and watch it often.

-Chris

Tom said...

Perry has a *massive* tween and pre-tween fan base. She looks like a living doll for a reason (and it's all about the marketing). My Nine and five year old neices litterally *rave* about Katy Perry (and Taylor Swift - bleeck!) so much so I just keep their albums on my iPhone just to keep them occupied when we travel together.

Anonymous said...

Obviously, she isn't a critical darling. But, she knows what she is: bubblegum pop. Why do you think she realeased an extended version of her last album and called it "The Complete Confection"? She writes annoyingly catchy pop songs, and has seven Billboard Hot 100 number one's to prove it. So she knows how to write a commercail hit, and how to get better co-writers to make her songs even better, so that that takes some talent. Some talent is involved to both become, and at the same time wink at the image of, a pop princess. This bitch knows what she is doing, hate her or love her.