Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Beast?


About four years ago I received an e-mail from a blog reader (thank you Jill) who asked me to feature actor Jay Bunyan. The New Zealand born actor was known mostly at the time for his roles on the Australian shows Sea Patrol and Neighbours.


Since then, I have followed Jay (who now goes by Jay Ryan) through his roles in Terra Nova and Go Girls. It was just last week I got around to watching my DVR of the pilot for the CW's new version of Beauty & The Beast and realized their beast was played by Jay. Smallville's Kristin Kreuk certainly is a beauty, but Jay Ryan is far from Beastly looking. With the exception of a few facial scars, the only thing beast like about him is the occasional anger outburst, usually justified and directed in the direction of a murderer or criminal.


I didn't expect to get drawn in, I had not read or heard to much about this version. There is something compelling about the story however. Not just that of a beauty fixated with a beast, but of the pain and sadness which led to creation of the beast to begin with. I am not sure if I am yet ready to invest, might wait ans see if the network gives it a season 2, but Jay, and the story, have me longing to see a little more.




2 comments:

Gabriel said...

hairy hole
gosh

Brian said...

B&TB and Archer are my 2 new favorite shows. I remember Jay on Sea Patrol and was bummed when he left.When I read he would be playing the "beast" I just hoped he wouldn't be covered in prosthetics and hide that gorgeous face! The scar just makes him all the more sexy but I do miss his accent.