Sunday, June 30, 2013

Into Darkness...

And now to totally contradict my above post about originals....


I have never been a Trekkie. My father was a bit of one and I tried to get into the original series when he watched it on DVD (VHS, when I was a kid), but never really did. My main fascination was an odd one, it was with the ignored cast members, the actors in the first series who played; Uhura, Chekov, Sulu, Scotty and sometimes Bones. I would see them in all the promotional images and box covers, yet most of the time they had little or nothing to do.


If the series was shot in the 2000's and not the 60's, I am sure this group of cast members would have gotten together and made demands for more money or screen time. I think if done at the time, they all would have most likely been fired. My fascination with this group continued when I saw the first J.J. Abrams version of the brand in 2009. This was the first time I think I was fully invested in the series and the characters. I saw Into Darkness a few weeks ago. The movie was fast moving and action packed and Abrams wisely gave all of the supporting characters a brief moment or two to shine, but it again felt a little bit like the magic was gone. The movie was saved by it's pace and the incredible Benedict Cumberbatch who elevated all around him.

Bones & Scotty

Karl Urban (Bones)

Simon Pegg (Scotty)

Sulu & Chekov

Anton Yelchin (Chekov)

John Cho (Sulu)

Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch) with Kirk and Spock


No comments: