'As male ingénue parts go, few rank higher on the scale of infamy than the lead in The Blue Lagoon, the role that brought the lithe, beach-permed Christopher Atkins a depressing sort of immortality and, in 2012's remake, launched the film career of 25-year-old Brenton Thwaites.'
1. Both Brenton and Christopher look pretty dapper with clothes on too!
Actor Brenton Thwaites has certainly seen his acting career zoom up since his trip to 2012's remake of The Blue Lagoon. I take a bit of umbrage however to writer Matt Tyrnauer's recent piece in Vanity Fair regarding Thwaites predecessor in the role, Christopher Atkins. I know that Thwaites has had a string of high profile roles, starring along side Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie and Gerard Butler but Atkins did ok, appearing along side Conrad Bain, Lesley Ann Warren, Kurt Cameron and Gary Busey!
Atkins had a few more hurdles to overcome, ones Thwaites didn't have to scale. Thwaites dip in the Lagoon appeared on the Lifetime network on a Saturday night.... Atkins on the other hand, took his plunge on the big screen, and remained in theatres for most of the summer. Being on television, Thwaites was able to keep his junk covered, while Atkins dangly bits were bounced about to and fro in the water and as he frolicd by the sea.
2. They both have soaps in their past, Brenton before jumping into the Lagoon in Home & Away.
Christopher's soap past was after his Lagooning, spending a year on Dallas wearing pretty much just a blue speedo as both Sue Ellen and Lucy vied for his affections.
Christopher Atkins may not have been Lawrence Olivier, but he did become the object of lust for an entire generation of boys discovering their sexuality. Thwaites I am sure has inspired as well, but I not sure he can come close to impacting as many gay men and teens as Atkins, along wit the VHS copy of The Blue Lagoon did.
3. They both danced around their lagoon's in little clothing. Brenton in cargo shorts and baggy boxers...
Thwaites is young, talented and I am sure will be around for a very long time. Christopher Atkins however, even without high profile roles or critical acclaim has managed to sustain an acting career since first running naked out of that ocean with his shell close to 35 years ago. Atkins has worked steadily on television and video and has an impressive 11 projects coming out in the next 12 months.
Christopher in an ill fitting loin cloth and well... naked.
4. They both had beautiful co-stars to cuddle with and swim under water with, Brenton with Indiana Evans, and Christopher with Brooke Shields.
5. They both took their fair share of skin shots. Brenton (above) playing guitar at a back yard bbq, Christopher (below) for Playgirl Magazine.