Sunday, July 26, 2015

I won't Tumblr For Ya


I received an e-mail this afternoon from a photographer whose work I feature from time to time asking about my tumblr. This is in fact the third e-mail I have gotten on the subject, so thought maybe I should clarify. I don't have a tumblr. Unfortunately, someone does have one, entitled Favorite Hunks, and it pops up on the first page of most searches. The Favorite Hunks tumblr seems mostly devoted to video performers and although I regret not having taken the name myself, the site is not mine, nor does it have any connection to this FH.

I have a love hate relationships with tumblrs. For artists, I see the advantages of having a venue to share their work that is both quick, easy and assessable. tumblr also has little to no rules so artists are able to post images some model sites don't allow. But... tumblrs are also a pain in the ass to many other photographers as the sharing of others work is quick paint by the numbers easy. It is especially discouraging when some tumblr owners crop out watermarks and don't give credit to the artists. Although I am still on the fence, there are a few tumblrs I have come to love, especially a few I love that have a specific focus. Some of the tumblrs focusing on vintage media ads and magazines have been especially interesting to spend time on. I have come to welcome work from FH (the blog) shared on most tumblrs, especially the many that link back to the blog.

1 comment:

Hot guys said...

I'd also add how Tumblr takes their blogs down. Sometimes, with no real reason. :/ Mine:Tumblr guys.