Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Robert Downey Jr. in Home For The Holidays


I have always been a little hot & cold when it comes to actor Robert Downey Jr. I have always thought of him as attractive, but I was never really attracted to him. (nor him to me I suspect..) I have always found him incredibly talented, yet rarely enjoyed many of his movies. I liked some of his turns in the 80's and 90's, especially Less Than Zero and Soapdish, but I have never been drawn to any of the Iron Man movies, or Avenger related films.


That all changed last weekend when I finally sat and watched Jodie Foster's 1995 film Home For the Holidays. I had known of the film for awhile, but for some reason never watched. The Thanksgiving themed film brings the incredible Holly Hunter back home after losing her job to spend the holiday with her family. The entire cast is superb, Holly, Anne Bancroft and Dylan McDermott. I especially loved the performances by Charles Durning and Cynthia Stephenson who was both unlikable and heartbreaking at the same time.


I was also for the first time, physically attracted to Robert Downey Jr. I don't think it's just because he was homo for the holidays, Robert has played gay before. But his character, and his relationships with those around him was incredibly appealing. It also might have been that hair, and those sexy bangs that were all over his face.


I loved how Foster, with just a few scenes, gave Robert such beautifully well developed relationships with all those around him, from such different connections with each of his two sisters, to his quietly sweet relationship with his father. When it comes down to Thanksgiving movies, there are not a lot out there. Trains Planes and Automobiles being the most well known. Home for the Holidays is going to be on my Holiday watch list and look forward to another viewing, on another Thanksgiving a few years from now.



No comments: