Monday, April 3, 2017

Just Like An Old Time Movie....


If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old time movie
About a ghost from a wishing well


Starz on 54's remake of Gordon Lightfoot's classic, If You Could Read My Mind, in some ways speaks to the quick rise, and painful death of disco. I was was still in pre-school when Studio 54 shut it doors in 1980, but the club, and the Disco era live in images, movies and especially in the music.


Ryan Phillippe isn't the only reason I love 1998's 54. Yes, Ryan is a vision in the flick, but I love the whole feel of the film and the story of the boy from Jersey with and his dreams of making it in the big city. New York can suck you in, and up, and Ryan's character was up for the ride, if not the fall. I was recently on a tumblr that featured images of Grace Jones 30th birthday party at the LaFarfelle Disco in 1978. It wasn't 54, but the images had me again heading to that old time movie in my mind of what it was like in those New York Clubs in the 70's.


I hit google to look for more images from the time, and the the film 54's depiction of the busboys and bartenders who worked, and were worked, during their time in the clubs. The music, the lights, the booze, the drugs. I look back and can't help but think that most of those boys workin their assets are now in their 50's and 60's. I think it's time to re-watch 54, and maybe pick up studio 54 co-founder Ian Schrager' tales of the time.


Busboys & Bartenders


Christopher Atkins, (looking like he partied hardy) and his trio of celebrity beauties


Grace Jones 30th Birthday, LaFarfelle Disco, 1978

2 comments:

Parsifal said...

A very interesting collection of photos. The lady in red looks like Divine - I'm sure it must be so.

Tye said...

Thanks Lee, and yes, that's Divine