Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Shameel, Shamozzle, Haken A Chainik...

My Mother Was Nuts: A Memoir
by Penny Marshall

Although I didn't really know it at the time, I really shouldn't have bothered begging my parents to stay up late and watch television on Tuesday nights. For some reason I was enthralled with the ABC Tuesday comedies but by the time I was old enough to actually stay up late enough to watch them, most of had already gone to shit. Richie and Ralph had long ago left Happy Days, Terri and Mr. Furley had switched in for Chrissy and the Ropers and Laverne & Shirley were living in California, now...minus Shirley. When I got older, thanks to syndication and DVD's, I discovered most of these shows were much more enjoyable in their earlier seasons when I was to young to remember or watch.


Penny Marshall was the main reason to watch Laverne & Shirley. Yes, Cindy Williams and the supporting cast were great, but the show belonged to Laverne. I have enjoyed watching Marshall's career progress past sit-com star to movie director. I like Penny Marshall movies, don't love them, but like them. Jumpin Jack Flash, Marshall's first film, is probably my favorite. Given who her brother is, and her television past, it is not surprising but her films often end up feeling like an extra long episode of a sit-com. I always made a point however to check her out when interviewed. Marshall demonstrates a realness, an honesty I like that comes through in her interviews and appearances. Given this, I looked forward to devouring her memoir,especially the L & S years.


Maybe it is her age, or the health issues she went through the past few years, but unlike the outspoken women I have seen on television for years, her book was disappointingly safe. Everything you expect is there, the drugs, the relationships, her friendship with Carrie Fisher. There is really nothing missing as much as so much of it seems rushed and glossed over. Maybe Marshall was trying to hurt anyone but although there were some enjoyable digs at Denzel Washington, Whoopi Goldberg and Drew Barrymore, more often than not, Marshall tends make a dig, then defend the person she just insulted. This is especially frustrating in her comments about Cindy Williams.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Although it is clear Marshall was dragged through the ringer and emotionally scared from her working relationship with Williams, she spends a lot of time explaining Cindy's position and thrusting most of the blame for the problems on her agent and then husband Bill Hudson. She lets Cindy pretty much off the hook even though it is clear Marshall still hasn't had closure with the situation. I guess keeping whatever relationship the two have maintained must have been on her mind as she wrote.

With Tom Hanks on the set of Big.

I didn't hate the book, there were some enjoyable parts. I especially loved reading how Marshall did not really want Geena Davis for A League Of Their Own, but was sort of stuck after Debra Winger dropped out. If your a Marshall fan, pick up the book, but if your looking for an in depth look at The Laverne & Shirley years, it is there, but in any satisfying detail. The one thing the book did do was take me back to the men of Milwaukee. By the time I was watching the better actors may have already left, but the eye candy was still very much....intact.

Scott Baio

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, learn Yiddish. "Shameel?" Christ, you are fucking culturally illiterate. You are the kind of clueless yutz who makes me wish all gay kids were born dead. GROW THE FUCK UP, learn about other cultures and STOP POSTING YOUR EVERY "THOUGHT" online. You are human garbage. "A shameel," even! Christ! WTF!!!

Tye said...

We having a bad day?

Love sent to you!