Sunday, October 30, 2011

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from FLYFOTO!



It is no shock to anyone who visits FH that Halloween is one of my favorite times of year. I have written in previous years why the day is special to me. People joke about Halloween being the 'gay' holiday but to me the reason is more serious. Many holidays lose their magic as we get older but Halloween is a day that for me, only gets better.




As a gay kid (or any kid really who struggles with who they are or family issues) holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving can be tortuous. When your apart of a happy and healthy family, these are days to celebrate and come together. When your apart of a dysfunctional family or are in pain, these are days when the hurt is intensely spotlighted. Unlike these 'special' days which can encourage massive repression, Halloween does the opposite. Expression, especially about who you are, is something sadly still not something universally welcomed, except...for many, on October 31st.



It has become a tradition at FH to celebrate the holidays with images from Flyfoto. Flyfoto's Joey has been marking all of the holidays with his blend of retro and modern themes and usually finds a way to hit upon both the pleasure and the pain of the day. I think this years Halloween themed shots are some of my favorites. I loved last years dark and ghoulish shots but love the that this years colorful images also incorporate the sense of fun also associated with the day. What other day blends morbid horror with hilarity?



Check out more of Flyfoto's Halloween themed images on his blog HERE:
& Check out more of Flyfoto on FH HERE:




2 comments:

Boston Aiden said...

Happy Halloween FH!!!! Aiden Cole

Unknown said...

Guess I will catch them next year...