Thursday, August 9, 2018

Fuck Off, Helen


Needing a good laugh, last weekend I re-watched 2011's Bridesmaids. It's funny what you notice, or maybe what you remember noticing, when you watch a movie a second time. When I sat down to watch, I looked forward to the food poisoning scene at the Bridal shop, and all of Melissa McCarthy's scenes. This time, McCarthy's scenes didn't seem as funny as I had remembered, but I still got plenty of laughs.


First off, this is Kristen Wigg's movie. She steals every scene from start to finish. Her scenes with Rose Byrne are especially great, and the drive by car scene near the end provided the belly laughs I was looking for. I really hadn't remembered that scene, but it was the highlight this time around. It's surprising there hasn't been a sequel. Wiig thinks sequels are risky, and often tarnish the original. Although I agree with her, with this cast, I think it's worth the risk.


After the car scene, my biggest laugh came from Matt Bennett and his delivery of the line 'Fuck off, Helen.' Billed only as 'Helen's stepson', Bennett steals the far to few scenes he's in. Although he looks about 16, the New York based actor was actually 20 during production of the film.


Bennett maybe best known for co-starring alongside Ariana Grande in the Nickelodeon series Victorious. Since his stint in Bridesmaids, Bennett has appeared on TV guesting on shows like The Big Bang Theory, iCarly, Shameless, Fresh Off The Boat and Grey's Anatomy.

Matt Bennett

Bennett had a 'semi' nude scene (semi meaning he appeared naked but nothing was shown) in 2010 film The Virginity Hit. The film follows four young guys, and their camera, chronicling the right of passage of losing their virginity. In one scene, Matt is filmed by his buddy, prepping for sex by shaving his pubes.


Bennett in The Virginity Hit (2010)

Wiig and Chris O'Dowd

Actor Chris O'Dowd was certainly a highlight from Bridesmaids, and I have been seeing him a lot on TV lately in promos for Get Shorty. Jon Hamm may have been the movie's resident un-credited hunk, but like Wiig, I am guessing most audience members were rooting for Officer Rhodes. The English actor has done several nude scenes over the years, a few of my favorites below.

O'Dowd in Festival (2005)


O'Dowd in Hotel Very Welcome (2007)

O'Dowd in The Crimson Petal and the White , Part 2 (2011)




No comments: