Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Another Glance... out of The Bedroom Window


It is interesting when I look at my DVD collection that most of the movies I own are ones I saw before I was 20. Movies that impacted me when I was a kid. Movies I went to the theatre with family and friends to see and movies that were not just entertainment, but a part of my growing up.


When I was trying to find a movie the other night I was surprised how many of them included actress Elizabeth McGovern. Long before playing Cora on Downton Abbey, McGovern lived in the US and was in some of my favorite movies from the 80's. Ordinary People, Native Son, Racing With The Moon and The Bedroom Window. I was about 11 or 12 and remember the night I joined my family for dinner out and to the theatre for The Bedroom Window.


The Bedroom Window also featured actor Steve Guttenberg, long before the many Police Academy sequels made it difficult to get non goofball types of roles. It opens with an incredibly sexy Guttenberg in a tux soon to be on the floor as he jumped into bed with the incredibly sexy actress Isabelle Huppert. 5 minutes into the movie, just after having sex, Guttenberg exits the bed naked and heads into the bathroom. While he is in there Huppert witnesses a crime through the bedroom window, and the suspense begins.




The Bedroom Window also featured a brief glimpse, through a window of course, of a naked Brad Greenquist. I love Brad, especially in Pet Cemetery, and he was successfully creepy as Carl Henderson in this, his first feature film.




2 comments:

MostFun said...

Two questions for you:
1. what was your parents reaction to taking you to a movie, as a pre-teen, that featured male nudity?
2. what was YOUR reaction to the male nudity?

Tye said...

My parents really had no reaction, the nudity was brief and just butts, don't remember it coming up. It was not an especially violent or sexual movie, more suspenseful.

My reaction was impactful, one of many movies and experiences that helped lead me to understanding who I was and what I loved.