Saturday, October 23, 2021

Rmark Photography: Young Man, What Do You Want To Be?


'Young man, you can make real your dreams.'
Y.M.C.A

At Halloween, many follow the motto, 'Come as you aren't'.  For many us though, especially those going out trick-or-treating decades in the past, it was often a time to 'Come as you are.'. Not the who you pretended to be, but the who you really were inside.  Most of my trick-or-treating took place in the eighties, and I generally stuck to traditional costumes for little boys. I wasn't quite brave enough to full on camp or in drag.  I did however, find ways to incorporate pieces of myself that I usually kept hidden.

Village People, Playgirl 1979

It was time I didn't have to sneak to try on my mother's make-up and I always found a reason my costume needed my mother's long wig.  I loved that long hair and it didn't matter whether I was a devil, a monster or a ghost, my characters all required luxurious and flowing long hair.

Anthony

I think that motto of coming as you are, who you really are is one of the reasons the Village People became so iconic.  Sure, they had some really catchy pop and dance hits, but their icon status comes just as much from the characters that made up the group.  When they burst on the scene in the late 70's, there weren't many out and successful pop-stars or celebrities. The Village People weren't officially out in the seventies either, but their message wasn't exactly subtle either.


Although the man in leather may have been a gay stereotype, the cop, the American Indian, the G.I and the construction worker represented many of the typical symbols of masculinity.  Although the group didn't initially acknowledge it, and not everyone necessarily could see it, the messages were still indeed there. Gay men are all around you, you see them, you know them.  They're in the navy, at the Y.M.C.A and many of them are very much macho, macho men.


'Every man wants to be a macho man 
To have the kind of body always in demand'
Macho Man

Shane

From the moment they burst on to the scene through today, every Halloween, there are many groups of friends who take on those characters in both costume and in spirit. This is one of the reasons Roger from Rmark Photography chose the group as his Halloween them this year. 


'Anthony  and Shane have been open to trying different clothing in trying to project various personas.    Sensuality comes in many forms.   Exploring those forms can be freeing.'


I think that exploration of sensuality that Roger referenced is why so many people love Halloween.  It's really a time to explore without the same limitations or risks so many people feel the rest of the year.  I love Roger's theme this year, and I love the way he captured the music groups iconic characters.  One of Roger's signature shots is the side view and it's one of my favorite poses.  I love the lines and curves of the male form that Roger captures.  I know many want the full frontal but those side curves are both visually impactful, and to me, much more erotic.



No comments: