Thursday, May 24, 2018

Rick Nelson: Teenage Idol


Some people call me a teenage idol
Some people say they envy me
I guess they got no way of knowing
How lonesome I can be

Teenage Idol, 1962


I knew of actor and singer Rick Nelson, but to be honest, mostly as Tracy's father. Nelson's teen idol fame was at it's peak in the 50's, 60's and early 70's and neither his music, or his acting career familiar to me. Earlier this year however, while putting together a piece titled, Men In Tights I came across an image of Rick (Ricky) and his brother David wearing circus tights.


The image, a promotional shot for Circus, a 1960 episode of Nelson's sit-com, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, had me fascinated to learn more about Rick. It was clear from the shot why Rick became so popular as a teen idol, and a heart throb. In addition to how hot his body looked in his tights, Nelson has one of those faces, absolutely adorable, but with an edge.


The cute boy next door with a hint of mischief in his eyes is a great combo and Nelson's blue eyes. In addition to his good looks, Nelson has an impressive Discography, and was talented singer/song writer and not just a really, really pretty face. I was surprised how many songs I knew and loved were written and performed by Nelson.


Whenever I feature a hunk from the past, I always think of the young male teens who swooned just as strongly, but in secret, for their blue eyed crush. I remember buying Tiger Beats and teen magazines for those hot pictures of Aylissa Milano, when it was really Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Jonathan Taylor-Thomas and Christopher Daniel Barnes I was looking for. It was bad enough being a in the closet teen in the 80's and 90's, it must have been even more difficult in the 50's.



No comments: