Saturday, October 20, 2018

Horror Hunks: Rod Taylor in The Birds


It's always funny to me how an some actors some performances, some men... will go unnoticed until you're ready to pay attention. I have seen Alfred Hitchcock' The Birds almost a half a dozen times.  At least once when I was a kid, again as a teen and again in my twenties and thirties.  I mostly focused on Tippi Hedren's beauty and of course those birds, terrifying in some scenes, incredibly fake and unbelievable in others.


When recently watching again on TCM, I took notice or actor Rod Taylor for the first time.  I think I first became aware of the actor when I was a kid watching Falcon Crest with my mother.  Taylor would have been about 60 then and given I was barely in my teens, there was no pull, I was salivating over Billy R. Moses.  But watching the birds recently, Taylor all of a sudden became sexy, and his manly thick frame was for the first time noticed.

Taylor and his co-stars in The Birds

Although Hitchcock kept Taylor fully tailored in The Birds,  that Taylor torso got lots of screen time in several other films, a couple I hope to check out in the future.

Taylor in a enjoyable, but gratuitous shirtless scene in the sci fi flick World Without End (1956)


I haven't found a copy of Young Cassidy yet, but with a shirtless Rod in the promotional material, and with Maggie Smith as his co-star, I want to.


Taylor & Maggie Smith



No comments: