Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Martin Kove: ACTORS & Skin


I've never really watched Dancing With The Stars.  There were certainly a few seasons that I tuned in for a few episodes because of one the male dancers (Gleb, Valentin ) or one of the 'celebrities' cast.  Usually, after a few weeks I get bored and usually tune out.  I do however, always like seeing who they find to include each season.


I'm sure it's getting harder and harder to find celebrities willing to get on board.  With Brian Austin Green on this season, there aren't really many cast members of Beverly Hills 90201 left!  Thankfully there wasn't a Sean Spicer type included this year, but including Olivia Jade is consistent with the shows desire to grab headlines, even negative ones. 


One of the interesting inclusions this season for me, was the addition of actor Martin Kove.  Although the 75 year actor has worked constantly over the years, he's had somewhat of a career renaissance of late due to his role in Netfilix's Cobra Kai. I've yet to see Cobra Kai, and also have to acknowledge that I've never seen any of The Karate Kid films.  I'm sure I'm not alone, but I was never drawn to tune in

I mostly know Kove from the flash of hairy chest in the opening credits from Cagney and Lacey.  I was too young to watch the show when it was on, I was usually being sent to bed when my mom sat down to watch.  I remember however, enjoying those brief few seconds of Kove's chest before heading off to dreamland. 

Code R (1977)

Year later, I saw a few episodes of the show in repeats.  Cagney & Lacey was definitely a female driven show.  It was interesting to look back at the role reversal with Kove's character. Most male driven shows of the 80's had a female cast member who was sexualized, and put in a bathing suit for the opening credits.  In Cagney & Lacey, it was Kove's character that was that was often shown shirtless and sexualized.  Not a difficult task given the actor's sex appeal.

Cagney & Lacey (1982-1988)

Last year, I finally got around to catching Kove's nude scene in Paul Morrissey's 1971 film Women In Revolt.  If you haven't seen the film, Kove's nudity is quite a pleasant surprise.  Kove is fully naked with a clothed Holly Woodlawn. Morrissey cast the three foremost drag Superstars in Andy Warhol's The factory, including Woodward.


I attempted to find an interview with Kove discussing his role in the film, but couldn't find any.  I did find one with Holly Woodlawn which may explain why Kove seems to have kept quiet about his role in the film.  Check out much more of Kove, and the nude scene on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)

The Incredible Hulk (1978)

The Karate Kid (1984)

Us Magazine swimsuit photoshoot with Markie Post (1985

2 comments:

Steve said...

*Holly Woodlawn (not Woodward)

Tye said...

Thanks, fixed