Friday, March 5, 2021

Monumental Movie Moments


'Come and have a bathe.'


The line above, was uttered by Freddy Honeychurch (Rupert Graves) after just being introduced to George Emerson. (Julian Sands).  Now not everyone can offer a quick 'how do you do.', then ask the hot man they just met for a bathe but in 1985's A Room With A View, it made the perfect middle act, and a nice contrast, to the rest of the film.


As many of you remember, George, Freddy and Mr. Beebe (Simon Collow) then headed into the woods, and then into the pond, for a relaxing afternoon skinny dip and bathe.   There are thousands of scenes of male skin on screen, and I've featured quite a few of them, but there are a few that for various reasons, really stand out.  The bathing scene in A Room With A View was certainly one of them.


I was only a kid when the film was released, but remember hearing about the 'nude' scene when I was a bit older.  I remember renting a copy on VHS and watching the scene over and over and over again.  The scene was so beautifully shot and the images both wonderfully tranquil, and incredibly hot. There was an innocence and something so natural about the three men taking a bathe together.  This scene was also one of the first nude scenes that I remember that featured full frontal nudity, and that made it even more powerful. 


I rewound and used my pause button like never before.  Even on a rather blurry VHS copy, the scene made quite an impact.  It's funny how you're drawn to different things as you age. When I was  first watching as a kid, my focus was on Rupert Graves.  That  body, those bangs!  When I got a little older, I was drawn equally to Julian.  Julian certainly had the clearest exposure. When I re-watched the scene this past week for this post, I think for the first time, I had the hots for poor Mr. Beebe.   If you haven't seen the scene, or haven't seen it in awhile, check out my caps and clips on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: