Saturday, September 2, 2023

Land Lines:


'I've had great success being a total idiot.'
Jerry Lewis


If you grew up in the last five decades, especially if you grew up in the 80's and 90's like I did, you probably have some connection to the annual Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon.  You may even have donated, or were encouraged to pick up that land line phone and dial in. 


The annual Labor Day weekend even raised money for Muscular Dystrophy Association. (MDA)  The telethon began airing in the mid 60's, but aired for the last time in 2014.  Lewis hosted the event for the last time in 2010. Lewis took on the cause after a plea from a staff member who worked with Lewis and Dean Martin on The Colgate Comedy Hour.

So many of us growing up, especially during the telethons heyday, used the even to mark a significant change.  The commercials promoting the annual event began airing at about the same time the back to school ads made their mark.  The telethon marked the end of summer for many, and the last full weekend of vacation before the start of school.


I don't really remember watching much of the show, but I do remember it being on TV, most of the weekend it aired.  My mother liked it, I remember seeing pretty much ever celebrity, especially those from Television and those who performed in Vegas, the location the show was filmed for many years.  I had no real connection with Lewis, never saw even one of his films that I remember, nor thought he was appealing.  Just the opposite in face.  I don't think the 12 year old me would ever think that in the future, I'd be doing a post spotlighting the event, especially one that  nude images of Dean Martin and the telethon's host.



1 comment:

Craig said...

Great candid shot! This is how all steamrooms should be.