Friday, October 1, 2010

The Model: Damon Mahoney



Some of my favorite models to feature on FH are dancers. Dancers have a fluidity of movement, sense of not only body, but space and lines and the ability to connect with the rhythm of photographer that create beautiful images.

Damon Mahoney was born in Santa Monica and describes himself as the love child of a glam-rocker and an opera singer. At 17 he decided to become a ballet dancer.

'I have since risen, and am still rising through the pit of hell that is physical artistry.'

Damon certainly has risen and is now the solo dancer for an opera company.

'I like weapons and I like pretty words strung together and I have a very wicked sense of humor'.

Stringing pretty words together is not just a 'like' with Damon it is a talent. Damon was gracious enough to share some of his poetry with me and I shared one of my favorites below. One day Damon hopes to have his poetry published in a collection.

I don't think Damon was crazy about my using the photo at the top of this post. The glasses, the hair, the look, along with the fit body of a dancer are almost a juxtaposition. A beautiful juxtaposition, and without a doubt one of my favorite shots.


Both shots of Damon by Michael T. Puff

Damon says he loved working with both Michael and Bill.

'Doing the shoot with Michael and Bill was fun. I loved working with the fabric. I have interest in doing aerial work with tissue in the future. In dance our entire body is an extension of our artistry. I used to do figure modeling for art and sculpture classes, and I approach the shoots in the same way. I take a lot of my inspiration from statues in museums, which were often done of athletes. I would love to do a Gladiator photo shoot.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I like that top photo as well!