Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The Gradual Reveal: Beau Breedlove by Studio1x


'Beau is one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet. He has many talents, he does on line fitness training, he is a baker and has some wonderful cookbooks published, which you can purchase on line, he is a gardener, husband, father just to name a few.'


In his comments above, Jim from Studio1x describes Beau Breedlove the man, the person.  Jim discusses his personality, his skills, talents and relationships. The comments are not focused on his past or his on-line reputation, nor about his body, his muscle mass or his penis size. 


Although it may seem a bit antithetical, given FH is focused on the male form, I really try to ensure the male models that I feature are seen as more than just a assemblage of flesh and body parts.  It's important for me, whether featuring an artist, actor or model, that the subject be seen as a person, not just the possessor of a hot body.  The Internet is full of hot naked bodies, most are nameless, many, even faceless. 


Although I get the appeal, my interest in an image increases and intensifies with information.  The model's name is a good beginning, but FH readers know I love more.  It's one of the main reason I focus as much on 'story' as much as I do on visuals.  Although I know many models and artists prefer to let the images speak for themselves, there's a point in all of our lives when we move from only enjoying picture books to visuals that weave both images with words.


It is also one of the reasons I love to present a reveal.  Regular FH viewers know that I often begin features with either a portrait shot, or a shot of the model partially or fully clothed.  To me, only featuring full nude shots is a little boring.  It also means I've skipped part of the story.   I always struggle more when presenting a series of shots which all full nudes.  It's funny how many times I write a photographer requesting more images of face only shots, or of the model dressed. 


It's easier to see a model simply as a body if all that you see... is only that body.  Without context, or story, this limited view leads to complacency.  It's happened to me many times.  I remember being on tumblr, flipping through page after page of naked male bodies, rarely stopping to take a closer look.  Then, I'd see an image of a model in a pair of jeans, or in underwear, and was suddenly motivated to see more, then learn more, about the model within the image.


Being naked is in some ways an ending.  We meet most people fully dressed, and the relationship moves to a new level once a relationship is established, and then the clothing is removed.  It's a process with levels of learning and anticipation.  I know most click on FH for the bodies, but I have to think most who return time after time, enjoy the gradual reveal as much as I do.  A great reveal also requires more of the viewer.  In addition to our imaginations getting a work out, it also takes restraint and self control not to check out spoilers, and immediately scroll down to the final chapter.


In order to truly appreciate a reveal, it must be complete.  If not, it's more a tease.  It's like ripping the  gift wrapping off a box, but then, not being able to open it.  In the hands of a skilled artist, a tease can be satisfying, and not all models are comfortable having their entire package completely unwrapped. Many photographers also like to maintain a bit of mystery within their work.  With a gradual reveal however, the patience should have a pay off.


Many FH readers have already ripped off the paper and enjoyed Beau's bounty.  I previously featured Jim's work with Beau in two features in which Beau slid off his wrappings.  The first time, Beau was adorned in a pair of red long johns, (Romjul) and the second, a fake fur coat. (Shedding Fur)  Jim is one of my favorite visual revealers.  Jim painstaking photographers every second of the reveal, and although this set features a gradual reveal over about fifteen images, Jim captured every moment of Beau's baring with hundreds of shots, each documenting a the anticipation, and every split second of the gradual reveal.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of him! Gorgeous, accomplished. Mmmmmmm