Monday, April 2, 2012

Measures of a Man: Marcelino R. by Kurt R. Brown


Historically, men have been measured by body, strength and their ability to provide. Today thankfully, there are a broader spectrum of ways to measure the character of a man; The company he keeps, treatment of his environment, integrity, honesty, degree of empathy, trust, intelligence, creativity and his willingness to be there for others.


Which ever measurement tool you choose, photographer and artist Kurt R. Brown is at the high end of the character spectrum. I first contacted Kurt last May. I was doing a piece to promote the first issue of tMf and wanted to pick Kurt's brain about working with Dylan Rosser on the first issue. But...as often happens with busy people, page one of your e-mail quickly becomes page two, and some e-mails get lost in the shuffle and move quickly out of site. In March of this year, when Kurt was doing a little e-mail spring cleaning, he saw my e-mail and responded. Although too late for my piece for tMf, perfectly timed for a feature on FH.


Kurt immediately welcomed me into his vast portfolio of work to find the perfect subject to showcase his work. Although the choices were vast, the decision came easy. I have loved the work of Marcelino R. since first seeing his images and have featured his work several times on FH. I think I first saw Marcelino's shots with photographer Scott Hoover back in 2009 and have followed his work since then. Marcelino has both the looks, both sexy and distinctive and an expressiveness which creates a beautiful aura that permeates within each image.


Although I did not know it initially, Kurt and Marcelino have worked together many times and have become good friends. Marcelino provides an outstanding video testimonial on Kurt's site about the measure of the man, and the artist. In going back to again read Kurt's interview for tMf for my research, Kurt speaks equally as highly on the measure of Marcelino.


'I'm guessing Marcelino is probably the model I've worked with the most. We became friends after our first shoot together, and he has actually helped me on many shoots with other models and helped me stay focused on completing all my photography books, while providing valuable feedback. He's fun to be around, is willing to do whatever it takes to get the shot without questioning me about everything, and he is very photogenic, what more could I ask for?'
Kurt R. Brown


'He is.... honestly one of the kindest and most reliable person I know. Just the biggest heart and always tries to help anyone in need. I consider him my twin brother from another mother. We have a lot of things in common like our obsession with superheroes. Then his photography.... He is a miracle worker. He can see a picture edited and how he wants it before the model even steps in the shot. He is incredibly gifted with a lens and photoshop. It's always a pleasure working with him and definitely looking forward to working with him again. He always makes me look good! Which is a very hard thing to do. I was a big fan before i ever met him and it was an honor to be shot by him.'
Marcelino R


Kurt is known for his majestic exterior work and I love these location shots of Marcelino shown below. I however equally love the creativity of the images above in the empty apartment, especially the refrigerator shot. Takes me back of my first night in my very first apartment. There is an powerful sense of Independence which overtakes you, and as importantly, an erotic freedom to have your own space to do as you please without the restrictions one has living with a parent or someone else.


See More of:
Marcelino R on ModelMayhem & Facebook
Kurt R Brown on ModelMayhem & Official Site
& Check out Kurt's most recent book, Earthly Beauty on Amazon.


Check out the spring edition of Icarus (shot by Kurt R. Brown and painted by David Gilmore) for a great interview with Marcelino where he discusses everything from modeling to his upcoming novel.


No comments: