Monday, April 19, 2021

Briancan Photography: The Bluffs


'Forming much of the eastern portion of Toronto's waterfront, the Scarborough Bluffs stands above the shoreline of Lake Ontario.'


It used to be the weather, but over the last year, the pandemic become the number one topic of conversation.  It's understandable, Covid has impacted us all to varying degree's, whether directly, or indirectly through changes we've had to make and adjust to.  It's also forced us to interact with others differently, sometimes leading to unplanned conflict.  


One of my cousins called me last week letting me know he'd be driving though my town on the weekend.  He wanted to meet me at the local pub for lunch.  He was shocked when I told him I'd been back to a restaurant (except take-out) since last March, and didn't intend to until I was vaccinated. The call ended abruptly, it was though I lobbed some attack, and he seemed to take it personally.


I haven't become a hermit, just the opposite in fact.  I go out every day, maybe even more than before the pandemic. I stubbornly don't want to be controlled by Covid, so although I don't hit all you can eat buffets, I head to the park to run, for a hike or to the beach more than I ever did before.  I think a lot of people are, something several models and photographers I've covered recently  have noticed during their shoots...


Brian (Briancan Photography) has been going to the bluffs since the 1990's, for the scenery, to shoot, and especially to hang out completely  naked.  Although it's never been sanctioned as a nude beach, many, especially men, have made it there unofficial nude beach of choice.  The beach leading to the bluffs starts off of Queen Street East and goes on well into Scarborough so there are a lot of access points along the way. The rocks and beach, and the bluffs behind, make for a striking background for images of the male form.  I was first drawn to the location in Brian's images awhile ago. I was always curious to learn more about the location.


'The sandy cliffs and rocks make it a great spot of photos. I started taking models there several years ago and they all love it. Many had never been and once they discovered it they went back on their own.'


Due to Covid, the bluffs have become more well known as great outdoor place to visit.  It's understandable, and great that people want to get outside. There are nine parks along the bluffs, hiking and walking trails, picnic tables, fire pits, places to camp and even a restaurant and marina.  Despite all of the things to do, Brian had still always managed to find quiet places to both get naked himself, and to take models there to shoot as well.


Ontario is currently experiencing another surge in Covid cases, leading to another recent lock down from the provinces premiere Doug Ford.  Given the restrictions, it appears the buffs may not be an possible shooting option for awhile yet.  


Brian is hoping by the summer, it might be again possible to plan and head out for another shoot.  In the meantime, Brian shared some of the shots from his previous trips.  A couple of the models have previously appeared on FH, and one of the images is of the artist himself.  I look forward to when Brian is able to return to the bluffs to continue with the series.



No comments: