Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Below Deck : Ashton


I'm almost through catching up with Below Deck and should be finished by the time the new season begins in October.  I'm not sure how feel about season 6 and season 7's Ashton Pienaar, but he certainly did make an impression.  More popular with the older ladies on the boat the younger crew, the Deckhand turned Bosun went through a few personality changes on his journey. 


Ashton certainly liked the ladies, and was always on the hunt.  Although some of his female crew members called him misogynistic, for me, he was more immature than anything else.  Ashton certainly got angry when he drunk, but there were times, like when he first became bosun, that he tried to step up.  Unfortunately his animal instincts usually got in the way.


Ashton came by those instincts honestly enough. His days as a stripper seemed to have given him a bit of skewed view of male/female relationships.  Ultimately though, I think I liked Ashton more than I maybe should have.  I hated the season 7 reunion show, and thought Captain Lee and the female crew members were way over the line with how they talked down to the male deckhands.  


Sure, they all acted like assholes much of the season, but they certainly weren't alone. None of the women were exactly angels themselves and Captain Lee seemed like was trashing Ashton more to back-up Kate than anything else.  Regardless, Ashton was brought back for a reason, and I'm sure he gave the producers exactly what they were looking for.





No comments: