Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Crime of Seduction

I don't really know too much about singer and actor Frank Sinatra.  I remember my grandfather had some of his records.  My grandparents  had a huge stereo in their living room, and when we visited, I often looked through them, mostly to check out the cover art.  Recently however, I saw Sinatra's mug shot on a web page and for the first time ever, thought he looked sort of sexy.

I think it may have been the long bang hanging down one side, but it was a hot mug shot.  A little research, in addition to informing me that Ol' Blue Eyes was supposedly quite hung, I learned the reason for his arrest.  I'd never heard of the crime of seduction before, but that's exactly what Sinatra was charged for back in 1938.

Men at the time could be charged with seduction when it was believed that they convinced an unmarried woman of good repute to engage in an inappropriate encounter.  No so hard if you're a well known (and hug) young singer.  The charges were eventually dropped when it was discovered the woman in question was actually married.  Later that year however, charges were laid again, this time for the crime of adultery. A bond was set which Sinatra paid, and he was quickly released. The Adultery charge was later dropped and in total, he spent only a few hours in jail as a result of the situation.

From Here to Eternity (1953) 

No comments: