Sunday, July 9, 2023

He Needs Your Luv... NOW!

On my birthday post for July 2nd, I celebrated former actor and teen idol Jimmy McNichol's 62nd birthday, by using the image above.  I found the image on Pintrest, but it wasn't a very clear copy.  When I image searched for a version a bit clearer, I stumbled upon the source of the shot.

The shot was a pin-up from a 1980 edition of Teen Spectacular magazine.  I was surprised when checking out the magazine on e-bay how 'aggressive' the teen star press used to be with promoting their subjects.  McNichol would have been about 18 or 19 when the magazine came out, so he was the age of maturity, but the all caps captions to 'touch him' and 'he needs your luv now', are not something you would likely see on a magazine today.  

Teen magazines are basically a thing of the past, their goal was clear.  They wanted young girls, and young guys, to lust after the shirtless hotties and shots in their magazine.  The goal has really changed, but today's magazines are a little more subtle, at least with their captions... 

No comments: