Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Horror Hunks: Terry O'Quinn in The Stepfather

'After murdering his entire family, a man marries a widow with a teenage daughter in another town and prepares to do it all over again.'


Like so many of you I'm sure, during the 1990's and 2000's, I often went to Blockbuster on Friday evenings.  Along with the latest new release, I would also walk up and down the isles, looking for something different to rent along with hit.  I distinctly remember seeing the cover art for 1987's thriller The Stepfather many times.


I usually walked right on by.  I really didn't recognize anyone in the cast except for Shelley Hack.  The former model and Charlie's Angel  wasn't exactly known for her riveting acting performances, so it seemed a safe bet to skip wasting my cash on a rental.  I was wrong.  I finally watched the film a few months back. Hack wasn't bad, but the movie and performance from actor Terry O'Quinn made it an entertaining watch.

I watched Lost mostly due to my crushes of Ian Someralder and Josh Holloway.  Although I initially loved the show, by the end of season one, I found my interested and greatly diminished.  The twists and turns were getting more and more silly and I didn't like how so many of the cast members that I liked were made into glorified extras.

Lost 

Although I can't say that I considered O'Quinn a hunk, I do remember some very powerful performances. O'Quinn brings his considerable skills as an actor to The Stepfather, elevating the film far beyond it's formulaic script. 

The Stepfather

I was surprised to see a butt scene from O'Quinn in the films opening few minutes.  I didn't realize until reading about the scene after I'd seen the movie that there was also a frontal.  It's subtle, and easy to miss, but there is indeed a frontal if you check out O'Quinn's reflection in the bathroom mirror.

No comments: