Saturday, June 2, 2018

Art Buff


'Being nude in front of one person isn't too daunting, the reality of being nude in front of a dozen or more was a different proposition.'


Since beginning FH, I have been fascinated by models who have the balls to pose in a room full of artists. I have written about the subject many times, (Disrobed) and love to explore it whenever I feature a model who posed for an drawing, painting or sculpture class. I think the fascination with art class modeling comes down to the level of vulnerability and control. Not everyone is willing nor able to relinquish control.


I remember streaking with three of my friends late one night when in my first year at University. It was nerve racking but also an adrenaline rush. I had the comfort of not being alone, there were three other bodies to distract attention. I could also cover myself with my hands if I felt too vulnerable, and the run across the science center's front lawn, although it seemed much longer, took about 20 seconds. I can't imagine if I had to stop mid run, stand still for hours with my hands off my crotch for all to view and judge.


I think it's that judging that causes many to keep their pants on. When modeling nude for one person, there is of course a level of vulnerability, but you usually have the ability to keep your eyes on the person who's eyes are on you. The person is also most likely an artist or photographer who chose you for a subject, hopefully meaning, they like what they see.


When in front of a classroom full of artists, it is impossible to fully view all the views coming your way. For some, this experience would be worse than death, for others, it provides that same rush I felt running across the grass.


Writing about model Yoni Baker and his experience posing for six hours at a time, fully naked for a sculpting project, had me thinking about the many images of art class models I had saved over the last few years, looking for an opportunity to use on the site. I thought today was a perfect day to use them. If any FH readers have ever posed in front of an art class, or ever been an artist in a class with a nude model, shoot me an e-mail, love to hear, and maybe share, your story. If you want to check out more images like this, I add some extra shots on THE OVER-FLOW HERE:



1 comment:

Aaron said...

I have been on both sides of the easel, working as a life model and also as an artist, and I can tell you that, for me at least, it is much easier being the model.
The students/artists see you as nothing more than a bowl of fruit, and object that they have to capture on paper or canvas or in clay. From my own experience of drawing, you tend to obsess more over capturing the the model accurately, making sure the elbow is right, that the proportions are OK, and wishing you could move when you have a foreshortened view of the leg.
As a model, I was too focussed on not moving to care about what anyone was thinking or looking at. Half the time the poses were painful or uncomfortable, and you were just waiting for the bell to ring so you could have a stretch. There was no time for me to worry about someone looking at me in a sexual way, and even if they did, so what?
Also, I feel more comfortable being naked for hours in an art class than being naked in a gym locker room for 10 seconds. At least in an art class you can be fairly certain that the people are there to make art. In a gym locker room, if someone looks at you, you know exactly what they're thinking, and that makes me far more uncomfortable. Artists see you as an object, whereas that guy wearing a wedding ring staring at you is objectifying you. It's a big difference.