Sunday, August 5, 2018

Aidan Faminoff: Speedo Season


'My friends and I would be gathered around our high school in British Columbia, and I would get sick of hearing the guys catcalling and talking about the cute girls. I wanted to scream because I wanted to be able to talk openly and freely about my attraction to men. I just wanted to let out the feelings and emotions that were building up.'
Aidan Faminoff, Outsports


Canadian diver Aidan Faminoff's coming out story was all over the net last fall and earlier this year, but I just stumbled upon his story, and his Instagram this past week. The 20 year old is currently a sophomore in the Class of 2020 at Florida State University, majoring in Sports Management. Faminoff is also on the school’s swimming and diving team. Although coming out stories in the sports world are thankfully becoming more common, it's still an arena steeped in a history of keeping it's athletes in the closet.


The world of sports has always been considered a straight men's world, but I always knew differently. As a gay kid who played hockey, I always knew there were others like me participating in every sport. It's always funny to me that some think the 'locker room' and other athletes are the reason people shouldn't come out.


I've always felt other athletes were generally the most supportive, or the ones who cared less, and it was more the money people, management and promotion, who felt an athletes coming out could impact their bottom line.


Thankfully there are athletes like Aidan and others breaking down barriers that have long held any meaning but to a few. Those it matters to will always struggle with change and progress and it is beyond time they had any influence or impact on the lives of others.


If you check out Aidan's social media sites, besides seeing how absolutely adorable he is, you will see how light he appears since coming out, free to be who, and do what he wants. It's clear he's having the time of his life.





Below: Aidan by dannography for GayTimes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sexy and gorgeous twink!!!! I am glad that he is gay and came out.