Thursday, October 21, 2021

Real Life Horrors: Apt Pupil

Sometimes... the real horror occurs behind the scenes...


Back in 2019, I wrote about the tragic death of actor Brad Renfro and the behind the scenes stories of the making of Apt Pupil. (Jagged Edge)  Apt Pupil began as a novella by Stephen King. It was originally published in the 1982 novella collection Different Seasons, subtitled Summer of Corruption.

Renfro and Joshua Jackson

I won't repeat the details of the scandal, you can check out the original post if you want to know more.  Because of Brad's age, and the behind the scenes stories about the filming of the shower scene, I've been reluctant to glorify the story and actors by posting caps of the scene.

Given it's Stephen King day, I thought it appropriate to take a look at some of the real life horrors that surrounded some of his films.  There are many stories about the filming of King's films, but the behind the scenes stories from Apt Pupil are definitely the most lurid. 

Many FH viewers know that I love looking into the edits and changes in male nudity with each version of a film.  When I was checking out clips from the film, I noticed some changes in the shower scene.  Now usually these changes bother me, but with this film, I think they were justified.  

You can see from these caps the differences in how the shower scene was cropped for the original release and the Blu-ray release.  Thanks to SOMS for the clip of the original release. 

No comments: