Friday, May 26, 2023

Blast from the Past: Fred Dryer


As I said on the previous page, I'd never really been a fan, or even knew much about footballs star turned actor Fred Dryer.  A visit to Youtube however, took me through a series of links which eventually led to my wanting to feature him on the site.


I did not watch this season of The Voice, but I did see some early audition episodes, and really loved me a little Niall Horan.   I also liked singer Ryley Tate Wilson who Niall choose to be on his team.  Although I didn't watch the show, I kept up by watching Ryley's performances on Youtube.


Anyone who spends time on Youtube knows the site puts a list of suggested videos on the right side of the sight.  Usually, you understand why most are there.  They're usually other songs of the singer you're listening to, or suggestions based on your choices.  I guess I watched a few too many hard to find sit-coms on the site as last week I there were videos featuring Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams on the side.


I ended up clicking on one, which was an interview with the Laverne & Shirley stars from their interview with EMMY legends.  I really loved watching repeats of the show when I was a kid, but have only seen a handful of episodes.  I saw enough however, to enjoy watching the interview.  The interview was done just a few years before Marshall's death in 2018.


It was interesting watching the two women together.  It's clear they were close, but sibling close, not friend close.  They seemed to be bonded closely, having gone through so much together, I felt love, but not sure I really felt they liked each other.  Very much like so many siblings I know.  The interview did have me wanting to catch the show again, and I found it airing on one of my cable retro channels.  


'Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'


The episode I caught was a show from the series sixth season entitled 'Not Quite New York.' and featured Fred and fellow NFL player Jeff Severson.  Dryer and Severson were seen a dream sequence featuring Laverne and Shirley thinking they were married to a hot doctor (Severson) and a hot lifeguard. (Dryer)  Dryer looked especially hot in his lifeguard shorts, and had me looking to see if he'd done any on-screen nudity.

Sadly, Dryer kept his jeans on during his time on Film and on television, but those jeans were often pretty darned tight.  I quickly began noticing what many others had noticed, and wrote about, Dryer's famous bulge, something the producers of Hunter seemed to take full advantage of.  In a few of the shots above, Dryer's package is so pronounced, it almost seems fake, but I believe it's fully Fred.

Laverne & Shirley

Dryer's appearance on Laverne & Shirley was his first credited role.  Although his credit was simply 'The Lifeguard', it was the beginning of a slew of television guest shots until he took off with roles in Cheers and Hunter in the 1980's.  


Dryer appears to have either retired, or taken a break from acting as his last credit role was in 2020.  Check out some recent pictures however, daddy Dryer still looks pretty darned good. 

No comments: