Friday, March 30, 2012

Destination DALLAS?



I have hazy memories of being ushered off to bed in the early 80's as the Dallas theme song began to play. As I got a little older, I was allowed to watch with my parents. Dallas was one of those shows that always drags me back to my childhood and my memories as it was really the only show I remember both of my parents sitting down to watch together. Besides the show itself, watching my parents watch the show is for some reason a comforting memory for me. I later caught up with the doings of the Ewings on TNN and on DVD and there remains an addictive quality to watching J.R, Sue Ellen, Lucy, Ellie et al around that dining room table.

TNT is promoting the new version which premiers this summer. I am not sure drawing on one of the shows biggest blunders (that dream season) is the wisest choice for promotion, but then I get the feeling the new version is not really being made for those who watched the original. Although there is part of me looking forward to seeing Linda Gray, Larry Hagman and some of the old guard sashaying around Southfork, I question the casting of of some of the 'throw away' Desperate Housewives cast members in lead roles (Metcalfe especially) but time will tell...

Photo editing does a Henderson torso good, but not sure 81 year old Hagman's hairy chest benefited quite so much...

No comments: