Monday, March 18, 2019

Back Issues: Men Magazine, April 1998


Growing up, I LOVED magazines.  I couldn't wait to hit the drugstore each week when the new issues were put out.  I mostly bought entertainment magazines, Entertainment Weekly, Premiere, The Hollywood Reporter and celebrity magazines from the UK and France.  Except for the odd Playgirl, I rarely bought an adult magazine, but boy did I stare at them on the high back shelves wrapped in plastic.

Like so many, my magazine buying days are pretty much behind me.  Although I still subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, with the net, I don't spend nearly the same amount of cash I used to each week on magazines. That being said, I have figured out that part of my love of continuing with FH is it's connection to my love of magazines, and especially the color images I used to tear out and carefully save.


Although FH has always celebrated Playgirl, the men between the covers, I haven't spent much time on the men between the covers of the other male focused magazines from the past.  Although most are no longer publishing new issues, back issues can still be found.


My new feature, Back Issues will highlight magazines from the past, and the men who filled their pages.  When I can, I'll also include some of the ads, one of my favorite parts of looking back.  I can't believe all the phone sex ads that filled so many issues, it seems so recent in some ways, yet so long long ago.  Up first, Men Magazine from April 1998.



Kurt Stefano

Kurt Stefano
Photographed by Maxx Studio
Great Wonders of the World


Dramatic, vividly colored landscapes have fascinated people all over the world for centuries... Breathtaking views speak directly to man's soul and imagination.


Chris Berrera

Chris Berrera
Photographed by David Lloyd


If you like the new feature Past Issues, you can thank these shots of Chris Berrera.  I spotted one of the images of Chris, un-credited, and thought he had an interesting Clark Kent type look and headed to google images search to find out who the model was. That search led me to Amazon which had one of the shots on an ad for this issue of Men Magazine.  


No comments: