Monday, March 18, 2019

Shrill: Notes on the Male Cast


I love Aidy Bryant. Kate McKinnon (deservedly) may be the female SNL player getting the most attention, but Bryan always cracks me up.  I was looking forward to watching her new Hulu series Shrill, and with just six episodes in it's first season, it was easy to breeze through this past weekend.

Luka Jones

Based on the book, Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West, the TV version features Bryant as Annie, a woman trying maneuver through family, friends, work, love and life.  Bryant was great and except for the pilot, which I struggled with a bit, the writing, acting and story progression kept both my interest and attention.


Although the show is certainly female driven, Annie's voice and story for me transcended gender, and hit issues we all deal with.  The show also had a great set of well written male characters and great actors in the roles.  Two of my favorites were not the nice supportive work friend of Annie's or her roommates sexy brother.  My favorites, were the idiots.

Jones in Shrill 

Luka Jones plays Ryan, Annie's boyfriend in the series.  Despite his treatment of Annie, he does grow as the episodes progress and there is something organically sexy about Jones that was evident whenever he was on screen.  I sort of recognized the actor from guest shots on other TV shows, but wasn't really familiar with most of his work.  He's certainly an actor I plan to keep an eye on.


Jones in Pillow Talk (2017)

John Cameron Mitchell

Now John Cameron Mitchell I recognized right away.  Although maybe most well known for his role, and as a writer for the film version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.  I wanted to love Hewig, for me, Cameron Mitchell made more of an impact on me for his early television roles in the eighties and as writer and director for the 2006 film Shortbus. 

Cameron Mitchell with Hedwig writer and composer Stephen Trask

The actor plays Gabe, Annie's boss and Cameron Mitchell's scenes with Bryant were some of my favorites.  There was a lot of friction and energy and I hope this dynamic is explored more if the show returns for a second season

Gabe & Tony hot a party on Shrill

Cameron Mitchell in Band in the Hand (1986)

Cameron Mitchell in Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

No comments: