Monday, April 1, 2019

Blast from the Past: Michael York


'Do you need me to take my clothes off?'
Logan

Logan's Run (1976)

Every time Logan's Run airs on TCM, I think I should watch or record it.  I'd read a bit about the 1976 science fiction film and also wanted to check out an early appearance by Farrah Fawcett. For some reason, until last week, I always seemed to find a reason not to watch. 


Although made around the time of the original Star Wars, Logan's Run is looks visually much older, with sets, costumes and special effects closer to a TV show, or movies from the 60's.  I think this is one of the reasons I put off watching. 


I can't say I loved Logan's Run, but it did hold my interest, although I watched in two blocks over a couple of days.  Like many science fiction movies, it loses a bit o steam when the action moves from the main complex to the outside world.  Science Fiction movies always seem to take their hero's off to learn from wise older characters. (think Luke and Yoda)  These scenes, always seem to slow the momentum, and I lost a bit of interest in the second half of the film when Logan was outside the walls.


I have to give kudos to the costume designer however.  The bright colored costumes most of the cast wore were unconventionally hilarious watching over 40 years older, especially on the men. I also was drawn to Jessica (Jenny Agutter) in her naked slit dress, that from a quick search garnered the same attention that the  Princess Leia medal bikini did in the day.

The Strange Affair

This was also the first time I remember really thinking Michael York was incredibly hot.  I really wasn't that familiar with York's work, I'd seen him in the Austin Powers movies, and remember his time as Asher Fleming, the older professor who attracts Paris' attention on Gilmore Girls.

Romeo and Juliet (1968)


The English actor began his acting career on stage, but has work steadily on Film and on television since the late 60's, including early roles in Romeo & Juliet, The Taming of the Screw, Murder on the Orient Express, The Three Musketeers and Cabaret.


Despite his long career on film, I think one of York's only nude scenes was a brief butt scene in 1969's Justine. York plays Darley, (great name I'm sticking away for a future pet) who get's involved in Justine's affairs, both romantic, and political.  Check out a clip below.


Justine

1 comment:

Tom Nakielski said...

Thanks for bringing back memories and fantasies from when every gay man had a crush on Michael York.