Monday, July 1, 2019

Frisky Frolic: F-bomb


Gimme an 'F'


Over the last couple of weeks, all over the country, students have been getting their final grades.  When I was in school, as much as I wanted to celebrate the last day of school, it wasn't until those grades came out that I could truly rest easy.  A good report card, even a so so one, (C's or above) meant my summer would be a fun one.


A bad report card however, even if I didn't have to go to summer school, meant a summer full of nagging.  If I wanted to go to the park, play ball, go swimming, I know one of my parents would respond with the look.  I knew full well, that stare down was a silent but deadly message to me that I should really be reading and studying.


Thankfully I didn't have a guardian as strict as these three students did.  Now given they all got F's, I guess they needed to be strict, but maybe strict boundaries or a tutor may have been more effective than the corporal punishment he seems to enjoy doling out...


Most of over the age of 30 remember getting spanked and running from the belt or the wooden spoon.  These students, though officially getting F's, are smart enough to know running away will only make things harder on themselves.  Hopefully, the spanking is the extent of their punishment, and they go on to have a fun summer.  Somehow.... I'm guessing not.  My prediction, the guy on the right gets a C- next year, his buddies to the left, another spanking.



No comments: