Monday, February 10, 2020

Arbitrary Ass


If anyone read my weekend Academy Award posts, you're aware my feelings on the shows pattern to disappoint.  This Sunday's show certainly didn't.  Although Janelle Monáe and Billy Porter gave it their all, between the opening and having Questlove on hand, the show seemed to be trying to hard to be cool.  The Oscars are not cool, never have been, nor do I think they ever will be.  Having a DJ and trying to have them feel like the Grammy's is not going to help.


I tuned out shortly after the supporting actor and actress trophy's were given out, and tune off when Eminem randomly showed up.  I like Lose Yourself, and read why the producers decided to bring him on, but it was the final straw to have me turn to my DVR of HBO's The Outsider.


I tuned back in to see the final three awards and was happy that Joaquin Phoenix's speech made Renée Zellweger's look boring in comparison. Renée's speeches have been a little wonky this award season, and although she rambled a bit, but nothing close to Phoenix's heartfelt but all over the place acceptance.


There was one award show that I welcomed an unexpected appearance from Eminem.  If anyone remembers the 2009 MTV video awards, they  may remember Sacha Baron Cohen, as his character Bruno, flying down from the rafters and spreading his butt in Eminem's face.  Although planned ahead of time, it was still fun, and a little ironic.


No comments: