Saturday, February 8, 2020

Hombres de Hollywood


'For a lot of filmmakers, their first goal is to be successful and make some money. But once people start doing that, the real goal is then to win an Academy Award. Because when they do, they know that their obit is going to start out, 'Academy Award winner so-and-so.' 
Robert Osborne
DiCaprio

Although I realize how ludicrous it is to get excited about something that always disappoints, I do it every year.   I don't think I've really enjoyed the Oscars in years, yet I still look forward to them.  I'm sure many of you feel the same, we like to complain about them, how long and boring they are, who should have, and should not have been nominated.  I think the disappointment is oddly part of the enjoyment, and part of the experience. 

Newman

Kind of like Christmas and birthdays, the Oscars come with sentimental baggage.  Growing up far from Hollywood, Oscar night seemed to bring the world of movies closer, it was something watched by people together, all over the world.  My memories of Oscar night start with begging my mother to me stay up and watch.  It was always on Sunday night, and with the school the next morning, it was a battle to get to see more than an hour.

Pitt

I loved, and still miss, the Billy Crystal hosted years.  I loved seeing 'old' Hollywood on stage, the big openings, and the performance of the nominated songs.  I still have an old VHS tape somewhere with years of Oscar performances on it somewhere.  I still vividly remember the year Madonna came with Michael Jackson as her date and nervously warbled through a performance of 'Sooner or Later' from Dick Tracy.   There was something about seeing Madonna shaking, nervous singing in front of the world that made her more human, and spoke to the gravity of the night.

Redford

I have been uncovering the Hombres de Hollywood for quite a few years now, and featuring the work of artist Nacho Fernandez Castro (illustrator of Hombres de Hollywood) made for the perfect fit!   Hope you enjoy my tribute to Hollywood and this year's awards.  Hope you enjoy it, and although long, hope you're not too disappointed.... 😎  Like the show itself, it's become tradition!

This year, my Oscar coverage is spread over the site's first three pages.  Once again this year, I am stripping bare the nominee's, and many of the actors and films of the past year.

The naked nominees Best Actor (HERE:) Best Supporting Actor (HERE:)

Poitier

No comments: