Saturday, February 8, 2020

Actor in a Leading Role:

JONATHAN PRYCE in The Two Popes

Although I've seen few of Jonathan Pryce's film roles, he did play a big role in a part of my life.  When I got my first job at 16, I had a two hour, and three bus trip to and from work on the weekends.  I spent that time reading, and listening incessantly to Price on the original Broadway soundtrack for Miss Saigon.   I eventually saw the show on Broadway many years later, but Pryce had already left hs role as The Engineer.


ANTONIO BANDERAS in Pain and Glory
Above: Banderas in PestaƱas Postizas (1982)

Antonio Banderas was one of the first actors I saw naked on screen.  Although with renting the big screen hits, I usually stuck in a foreign film when renting from Blockbuster.  I learned quickly a Mexican film with Banderas on the cover was likely to include a little male flesh.

Banderas in Never Talk to Strangers (1994)


ADAM DRIVER in Marriage Story

I love Adam Driver, his uniquely sexy look, and his unique personality as well.  I have yet to bring myself to watch Girls, but have enjoyed Driver since first seeing him on-screen a few years ago in Inside Llewyn Davis and This Is Where I Leave You.

Driver in Girls

JOAQUIN PHOENIX in Joker

Like so many of this year's nominee's, Joaquin Phoenix began his career on television with roles on shows including Morningstar/Eveningstar, Hill Street Blues, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and as you can see from the image above, a turn with Angela Landsbury on Murder She Wrote.  The first time I saw the Joker was in the 1995 film To Die For.  I went for Nicole Kidman and Matt Dillon, but Phoenix was great, and very hot, in the film.


Phoenix in The Yards (2000)

No comments: