Monday, December 14, 2020

When The Morning Cries And You Don't Know Why

Barry Gibb

'I can’t honestly come to terms with the fact that they’re not here anymore. I’ve never been able to do that. I’d rather have them all back here and no hits at all.'
Barry Gibb


As the last surviving Gibb brother, it's up to Barry to provide most of the story in HBO's new documentary How Can You Mend A Broken Heart.   I was just a baby when Disco was at it's height in the late 70's, but that doesn't mean it didn't leave an impact.  I remember vividly as a child laying on the rec room floor looking through all of the albums that my parents owned.


Long before I ever saw Saturday Night Fever or Grease, I imagined the stories based on the images inside the album covers.  We used to have a large wooden stereo that took up almost half of one of the rec room walls.  it was big and it was heavy and opened from the top.  I spent hours looking through my parents records and listening to their music. 

Andy Gibb

When I got a bit older, I got on the 'hate' disco bandwagon and didn't think much about the Bee Gees or Andy Gibb until I got older.  The closest I got was lip-syncing to Tragedy in JR High. It wasn't until years later that I began to appreciate the Bee Gees music, and leaned about their music beyond just the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. 


I really enjoyed watching the HBO documentary, and loved hearing some of the music that I haven't heard since I was a kid.  It had me quickly going to download songs I'd never hear or long forgotten.  I also learned so much, especially about their early years before superstardom hit in the late 70's. It was also interesting to hear about why they decided to keep Andy out of the group.  If you're a Bee Gees fan, or if like me, you never thought you were until now, I highly recommend checking it out.

No comments: