Thursday, April 14, 2022

Gardening Tools:


April ... hath put a spirit of youth in everything. 
William Shakespeare

With both Easter and spring being all about re-birth, there is no better time to head out to the garden.  Easter weekend marks the beginning of planting season for many, especially those who live where the risk of frost is now in the rear view mirror.  Apologies to all of those who were blasted by the blizzard in the Northern mid-west in the US and Southern Manitoba in Canada.

I used to hate gardening, mainly because it was part of my allowance chores when I was a kid.  My parents didn't really 'garden' really, but they did have a small vegetable garden, filled mostly with rhubarb.  My chores not only included planting and picking the rhubarb, weeding the dandelions out of the lawn as well as mowing and watering the lawn.

When I finally got my own home however, gardening became... well, a necessity.   It's never really become a passion, but the home I bought had tons of gardens and I try my best to keep up on their care as much as possible.  Now, I have to admit, some of the harder plants to maintain have been replaced by plants, like Hosta plants, that are almost impossible to kill.

When you own a house, especially one with retired neighbours who spend all day in their gardens, there's pressure to keep up.  The garden centers where I live are just about to open, so it's only a matter of weeks before I fork over hundreds of bucks for soil, weed killers, hanging baskets and fertilizer.  Gardening is still somewhat of a chore for me, but if I had a naked work crew like these guys, it would be joy to get out there and tip toe through the tulips. 






No comments: